Research Dossier

1) Secondary research

CFS is also known as ME, which stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis. CFS is a serious condition that can cause long-term illness and disability, but many people – particularly children and young people – improve over time. It's estimated around 250,000 people in the UK have CFS.
Anyone can get the condition, although it's more common in women than men.
It usually develops when people are in their early 20s to mid-40s. Children can also be affected, usually between the ages of 13 and 15.

It's not known exactly what causes CFS. Various theories have been suggested, including:
  • a viral or bacterial infection
  • problems with the immune system
  • an imbalance of hormones
  • psychiatric problems, such as stress and emotional trauma
Some people are thought to be more susceptible to the condition because of their genes, as the condition is more common in some families.
More research is needed to confirm exactly what causes the condition.

Treatment for CFS may be able to reduce the symptoms. Everyone with CFS responds to treatment differently, so your treatment plan will be tailored to you.
Some of the main treatments include:
Most people with CFS improve over time, although some people don't make a full recovery. It's also likely there will be periods when symptoms get better or worse. Children and young people with CFS are more likely to recover fully.

NHS, 25/02/2015, [Online]. Availiable at: < http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Chronic-fatigue-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx > [Accessed 09/03/2017]


I also looked a documentary conducted by the BBC about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I followed one case and how it had effected her. She had a sever case of the illness and talked about how it affected her life and how it affected her family.



HolidaysFromHome, 10 May 2012, YouTube [Online]. Available at: < https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7fonuZQ7-4 > [Accessed 13/03/2017]

2) Primary Research

I conducted a survey on Survey Monkey asking some questions about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It appeared that the greater majority of students in a film and media course didn't know what chronic fatigue was or any of the details to do with the condition.

I have set up interviews with Paul Treadwell (Student Mentor) and Louise Haliday (Occupational Therapist).I have also contacted 2 CFS Sufferes (Rob & Charlotte) who I will interview about their condition.

3) Product Research

Will try and do the filming during my free periods at college and have one of my parents assist me with travel to help keep my costs down.

I have arranged to meet with my OT and to hopefully have an interview with her. This should give my documentary some facts. I have visited her office before and have a good idea of what the set up will be like. I will obtain my permissions and talent releases for this shoot upon arrival.

I have also met with Paul Treadwell (Student Mentor), which sheds a light on what the college can do for CFS/M>E> sufferers.

I am considering booking two cameras out so I can have one one a close up and another on a wider perspective during the interview or asking someone to man the second camera and film the making of the documentary.

Filming in public Laws: To film on public land, I will need local authority to give their permission, such as the council. If it's on a road, I will also need permission from the police or if I am using any special effects, weapons or explosives.  If I'd plan to use any people pretending to play police officers or marked vehicles, again, I would need permission from the police. If I was to go into a shop or restaurant, I would need permission of the owners shoot their as well as show their name/franchise in the film. However, I do not need permission off bystanders and the general public if their faces appear in my film. Under UK law, the copy right of the film shot in public places remains with the filmmaker.

I should not have any issues with defamation, as I am not trying to slander anyone's name or person. I am trying to give and insight into chronic fatigue. I may be liable if I don't receive permission for filming in the locations in which my interviews  take place.

I should not breach any regulation with Ofcom. I do not plan to film or contain any offensive material, nudity or violence. I suppose, potentially, their could be some offensive language if an interviewee feels very strong about their condition and uses it as a dysphemism to explain how they feel. If this is a the case, I will display a warning at the start of the documentary and follow 1.16 of the Ofcom code, Offensive language must not be broadcast before the watershed (in the case of television) or when children are particularly likely to be listening (in the case of radio), unless it is justified by the context. In any event, frequent use of such language must be avoided before the watershed. I will also be aware of Rule 2.2 Factual programmes or items or portrayals of factual matters must not materially mislead the audience. I will make sure not to bend the truth or events when it comes to editing so I am not misleading my audience or fabricating reality and passing it as truth.

"Programme-makers must never stage, construct, reconstruct, re-enact or otherwise fake any scenes of actuality and pass them off to viewers or to Channel 4 as the real thing." and  "to 'hype' the story at the expense of the truth." 

I think these rules and guidelines for channel 4 are great, as you do have this issue, particularly with Facebook, of fake news. So, if it's in their fundamentals of broadcasting to make true, factual content, then I feel you can trust the programs that you watch.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connotations of TV News Starting Sequences

Photos Connotation Exercise